Re: Database File system requirements. - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Database File system requirements.
Date
List pgsql-php
> True.  But not sure how to gather all that info for right now.
> To get a more accurate picture, I dropped the one database that is in
> Postgre, stopped and restarted Postgre.
> It seems to be using just over 62M.
> I recreated the database and file usage remains unchanged (looking via
> df -H), the database isn't really that large maybe about 1000 rows of
> data currently.

> Well if its normal for PostgreSQL to need more disk space, looks like Im
> going to have to do a couple of disk to disk copying soon,
> and repartion my HD.

What's taking up all the space is probably several 16MB WAL files -
unrelated to your data size.

PostgreSQL is an enterprise class DB engine, MySQL isn't - you have to
accept that it takes up more room and requires more power.  Still, it does
seem a little large for what you have in there?  Do you have heaps and heaps
of indexes?  Have you run VACUUM FULL?  Have you run the reindexdb script?

Chris