Re: alter table drop column status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: alter table drop column status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> No there was an unapplied hack which uses logical/physical
> attribute numbers. I have synchronized it with cvs for a
> year or so but stop it now. Though it had some flaws It
> solved the following TODOs.
>
> * Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN feature
> * ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN to inherited table put column in wrong place
> * Prevent column dropping if column is used by foreign key

This seems fantastic - why can't this be committed?  Surely if it's
committed then the flaws will fairly quickly be ironed out?  Even if it has
flaws, then if we say 'this function is not yet stable' at least people can
start testing it and reporting the problems?

> I gave up to apply the hack mainly because it may introduce
> the maintenance headache.

Is it a maintenance headache just for you to keep it up to date, or how
would it be a maintenance headache if it were committed?

Chris