Re: comparision chart - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: comparision chart
Date
List pgsql-sql
> > Widely used as a very fast read only database. Backs _many_ web sites.
> > Locking at the table level only, thus update of the database
> best done when
> > effectively in single-user-mode. Transactions implemented using
> external
> > methods.
>
> The version with InnoDB has row-level locking and transactions.  (And
> is supposedly very fast, unlike the BDB-tables.)

I love how they still call it 'mysql' instead of 'sql wrapper around someone
else's better backend library'...

OK, so they have tables with transactions - so now what happens if you do
this?

* begin a transaction
* do a select for update that joins two tables, one with transactions and
one without
* another connection deletes some rows from the transaction-less table out
from under you
* update the transaction-less table
* update the table with transactions
* drop the table with transactions
* rollback the transaction

All sorts of crazy fun!!!  It's insane!

(Just my 2c - let's not start another flame war...)

Chris