Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 08:01:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Second, when you unlink() a file on Win32, do applications continue
> > accessing the old file contents if they had the file open before the
> > unlink?
>
> I'm pretty sure it errors with 'file in use'. Pretty ugly, huh?

Yeah - the windows filesystem is pretty poor when it comes to multiuser
access.  That's why even as administrator I cannot delete borked files and
people's profiles and stuff off our NT server - the files are always 'in
use'.  Even if you kick all users off, reboot the machine, do whatever.
It's terrible.

Chris