Re: New manual chapters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: New manual chapters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > So basically, it's a restrict-only implementation.  Although it would be
> > fairly easy I guess to make it support cascade and restrict keywords...?
> > Perhaps not thru the dependency mechanism, but it can be done
> explicitly.
>
> Yeah, I doubt it's worth trying to force NOT NULL into the dependency
> mechanism for this.  Do you feel like trying to do it "by hand"?  It
> doesn't seem like a very important issue to me.

Well it'd be nice from a consistency point of view.  And it wouldn't be too
hard.  I don't think it's essential for 7.3, as it would be perfectly
backwards compatible.  I'll add it to my TODO list, right after changing
column type :)

Anyone have any ideas on how we could implement changing column type.  We'd
have to move all dependencies and any object that refers to the column by
its attnum,  etc...  I guess we could steal a lot of the renameatt() code...

Chris