Changing column types... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Changing column types...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

Some questions:

1. What is the difference between abstime and timestamp - they seem to
display equally...

2. Since int4 and abstime are binary compatible (ie int4::abstime works), is
there any serious problem with updating a pg_attribute row for an int4 and
changing it to and abstime?  My experiments seem to work.

3. Is there any way of checking pg_type to check that two types are binary
compatible and can be substiuted in this way?

4. Is there any worth in me submitting a patch that will allow rudimentary
column type changing, so long as the types are binary compatible???

Chris