Re: Importing Large Amounts of Data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Importing Large Amounts of Data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>      b) In fact, at times I don't need that data integrity. I'm
> prefectly
>      happy to risk the loss of a table during import, if it
> lets me do the
>      import more quickly, especially if I'm taking the database off line
>      to do the import anyway. MS SQL server in fact allows me to specify
>      relaxed integrity (with attendant risks) when doing a BULK
> IMPORT; it
>      would be cool if Postgres allowed that to.

Well I guess a TODO item would be to allow COPY to use relaxed constraints.
Don't know how this would go over with the core developers tho.

> Thanks. This is the kind of useful information I'm looking for. I
> was doing a vacuum after, rather than before, generating the indices.

That's because the indexes themselves are cleaned out with vacuum, as well
as the tables.

Chris