Inheritance or no inheritance, there is a question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vernon Smith
Subject Inheritance or no inheritance, there is a question
Date
List pgsql-sql

I am working on an application system refinement. There is a user profile table in the current system. After the
refinement,there are new separated roles, A and B, of the users. The role A only has a few valid fields of the original
profiletable while the role B still has the whole profile table. In regarding of the DB scheme design, that should be
anideal case of using inheritance. I can have something like

table PROFILE_A (
ID int – PK,
):

table PROFILE_B {
inherits (A)
);

However, there is a problem. There are some multi-valued field tables, such as languages the person can speak,
associatedwith the profile table referred by ID in the profile table. These tables are still needed for the A and B.
But,the ID is not accessible from the PROFILE_B.

What is the best solution for this DB scheme problem?

p.s. I can't use array data type for the multi-valued fields since they need to be workable with a selection statement,
norxml or comma separated format for maintainablity concern.

Thanks,

v.