Crazy Multiplication Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Horn
Subject Crazy Multiplication Issue
Date
Re: Crazy Multiplication Issue  (John Burger <john@mitre.org>)
List pgsql-general
Howdy Gents-

I'm sure I'm having an "oh duh!" moment, but can anyone tell me what is going on here.

I am multiplying two columns it doesn't matter what their data type is not does it seem to matter if I explicitly cast
these
values to some other data type every time they are multiplied I am getting an incorrect result.

col1 = 213.1086
col2 = 0.833

If I perform

select col1 * col2, 213.1086 * .833 from tableA

I get the following values

177.519464 and 177.583396

What I am doing wrong!?!???  I need to get the expected 177.583396 value.  Thanks for any assistance!

Using 7.2.1 on freeBSD

Attachment