DB Getting Slower and Slower and Slower.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Othman Laraki
Subject DB Getting Slower and Slower and Slower....
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi,
    I recently upgraded to V7.1 version of Postgres on Linux and have noticed
that as the DB is being used, it gets progressively slower and slower, until
very simple queries slow down to a crawl. The basic setup I have is a set of
JSPs and Servlets running on Tomcat, that use Java classes which connect to
Postgres through a JDBC driver and perform various DB operations. But, as I
said, the DB gets noticeably slower, as if it does not clean up behind
itself after performing operations and finally runs out of memory... Then,
the only thing that works is stopping the postmaster and rebooting the
machine.

    If you have any ideas of what may cause this or what I can do to explore
the issue, I would be very grateful. I am fairly new to Postgres, so any
suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Othman

Othman Laraki