RE: New RPMS ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject RE: New RPMS ?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > If you want newer packages, get Red Hat Linux 7.1.
>
> For some folks with older machines, 6.2 is as high as it goes.
> Ever install
> 7.1 on a 486?  This fellow is in Brazil -- and may not have even
> a Pentium,
> for all we know.

For the record, machine type isn't the only reason some folks cannot move to
7.X.  My case, for example, is one where my company bought cheap UPS's for
use with my Linux servers, and even the newest version of the software for
auto-shutdown of the server doesn't support Redhat newer than 6.2.  Others
can probably give other examples, but suffice to say, many of us have no
choice but to put newer RPM's or compiled source on top of a RH 6.X base,
and have to face the question of how new a version of various software we
can get away with and not mess up our system.

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838