Syntax error in DROP CONSTRAINT - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Rajan Bhide
Subject Syntax error in DROP CONSTRAINT
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Forum,

I need to add a colume to existing composite primary key on a table.
I tried using following:
>> ALTER TABLE DROP CONSTRAINT tablename_pkey;
>> ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (col1, col2, col3, new_col4);

When I try this using Postgres 7.2.4 I get psql syntax error in DROP
CONSTRAINT.
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ";"

E.g:
CREATE TABLE forwardinginfo
(
    traptype smallint,
    trapnumber smallint,
        ipaddr varchar ( 16 ),
    port integer DEFAULT 162,
        snmpversion smallint,
    PRIMARY KEY ( traptype, trapnumber, ipaddr, port )
);

ALTER TABLE forwardinginfo DROP CONSTRAINT forwardinginfo_pkey;
**** ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ";" ****

I want to add the new column after droping the existing constraint.
ALTER TABLE forwardinginfo ADD CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY ( traptype,
trapnumber, ipaddr, port, snmpversion);

If I try the same thing with the latest 7.5 version, I see NO error.
How do I perform this with my 7.2.4 postgresql version server?

Thanks,
Rajan.