Re: 64 bit PostgreSQL 8.3.6 build on AIX 5300-09-02-0849 with IBM XL C/C++ 10.1.0.1 - initdb fails (could not dump unrecognized node type: 650) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Subject Re: 64 bit PostgreSQL 8.3.6 build on AIX 5300-09-02-0849 with IBM XL C/C++ 10.1.0.1 - initdb fails (could not dump unrecognized node type: 650)
Date
In response to Re: 64 bit PostgreSQL 8.3.6 build on AIX 5300-09-02-0849 with IBM XL C/C++ 10.1.0.1 - initdb fails (could not dump unrecognized node type: 650)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 9 Feb 2009, at 16:04, Tom Lane wrote:

> Hmm.  I think -qnoansialias corresponds to gcc's -fno-strict-aliasing,
> which we *know* is necessary to build a working Postgres on recent gcc
> versions.  I have not checked the exact symptoms of -fstrict-aliasing
> recently, but what you're reporting is definitely consistent with the
> idea that the compiler is improperly reordering some assignments,
> which
> is basically what the aliasing business is about.  So that switch
> seems
> like the critical issue here.

Just for the record Tom, I am building postgresql on my test box with
vectoring (-ftree-vectorize) and -O3, which pretty much turns the
strict-aliasing flag off.
it compiles, passes default tests, passes my tests, and works
beautifully. Vectoring is pretty much only used in numeric code.

That's on 32bit machine, mac os x.