Re: Linux vs FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject Re: Linux vs FreeBSD
Date
Re: Linux vs FreeBSD  ("Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

Le 2014-04-09 à 16:20, Bruce Momjian a écrit :

On Wed, Apr  9, 2014 at 10:02:07AM -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

This highlights a more fundamental problem of the difference between a
workstation-based on OS like Ubuntu and a server-based one like Debian
or FreeBSD.  I know Ubuntu has a "server" version, but fundamentally
Ubuntu's selection of kernels and feature churn make it less than ideal
for server deployments.

I am sure someone can post that they use Ubuntu just fine for server
deployments, but I continue to feel that Ubuntu is chosen by
administrators because it an OS they are familiar with on workstations,
rather than it being the best choice for servers.

I'm not a full-time sysadmin. I chose Ubuntu because I have familiarity with it, and because installing Puppet on it installed the certificates and everything I needed to get going. I tried Debian, but I had to fight and find the correct procedures to install the Puppet certificates and all. Ubuntu saved me some time back then.

Cheers!
François
Attachment