Re: Linux vs FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christofer C. Bell
Subject Re: Linux vs FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:36 PM, François Beausoleil
<francois@teksol.info> wrote:

> Le 2014-04-09 à 16:20, Bruce Momjian a écrit :
>
> On Wed, Apr  9, 2014 at 10:02:07AM -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
> This highlights a more fundamental problem of the difference between a
> workstation-based on OS like Ubuntu and a server-based one like Debian
> or FreeBSD.  I know Ubuntu has a "server" version, but fundamentally
> Ubuntu's selection of kernels and feature churn make it less than ideal
> for server deployments.
>
> I am sure someone can post that they use Ubuntu just fine for server
> deployments, but I continue to feel that Ubuntu is chosen by
> administrators because it an OS they are familiar with on workstations,
> rather than it being the best choice for servers.
>

> I'm not a full-time sysadmin. I chose Ubuntu because I have familiarity with
> it, and because installing Puppet on it installed the certificates and
> everything I needed to get going. I tried Debian, but I had to fight and
> find the correct procedures to install the Puppet certificates and all.
> Ubuntu saved me some time back then.
>
> Cheers!
> François

I'm not wanting to get after anyone here, but I want it on the record
that I am not the source of the above quote discouraging the use of
Ubuntu in a server role.  That would be Bruce Momjian. While Bruce is
entitled to his opinion, it's not one I agree with and I don't want a
Google search years from now to tie my name to that viewpoint.

Thanks!

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent
the Universe." -- Carl Sagan