(Mis)using the PostgreSQL planner to get estimated row counts - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Nick Johnson
Subject (Mis)using the PostgreSQL planner to get estimated row counts
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm trying to write a PostgreSQL extension to estimate the number of
rows returned by a SELECT statement. Ideally, it'd be invoked along
the lines of "SELECT estimate_row_count('SELECT foo FROM bar INNER
JOIN baz ON (id) WHERE a=b');", and would be useful for estimating
the number of pages in a search result, for example.

I've got as far as figuring out how to get an estimated row count
from a Node object for a query (mostly by looking at the code for
EXPLAIN), but there I'm a bit mired - I can't figure out how to take
a string representing an SQL statement and parse it into a Node
object I can feed to the planner.

So, a couple of questions:
1) Can anyone suggest where I should look in the source for the
requisite functions for parsing an SQL string into a Node I can feed
to the planner so I can get an estimated row count?
2) Is this something that's reasonable to do in the first place? I'm
not sure if extensions are supposed to be allowed to delve into
PostgreSQL's internals this much.
3) Are there any other gotchas around this area? For example, there's
a lot going on with Snapshots and ActiveSnapshot that I really don't
have any idea about.

-Nick Johnson