Re: Embarassing GROUP question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Corey Tisdale
Subject Re: Embarassing GROUP question
Date
Re: Embarassing GROUP question
List pgsql-general
We're coming from mysql 4, and changing the sort order changes the
values of all columns as you would expect, given that you would expect
a sort statement to affect grouping.  This certainly isn't the only
time I've used this syntax. I've been mysql user for ten years, and
the outcome has been consistant across hundreds of tables and millions
of rows and thousands of queries. If you ever have to use or modify a
mysql db, just keep this in mind in case it saves you some time.

That being said, we've discovered a few instances where docs were
wrong, found numerous bugs with bitshifting and blob objects and cache
usage and io buffering. We even sarted working on our own storage
engine until we came to our senses and switched RDBMSeses.

5.1 has chased more than a few folks off, and rather than upgrade to
it, we started porting to postgres. I didn't mean for my comparison to
appearas a knock against postgres, merely to explain why I was having
such a problem with such a simple issue. Thanks again for the help.

Corey Tisdale