Re: Elusive segfault with 9.3.5 & query cancel - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject Re: Elusive segfault with 9.3.5 & query cancel
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 Dec 2014, at 22:41, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:

> Perhaps we should also officially recommend production servers be setup to create core files. AFAIK the only downside
isthe time it would take to write a core that's huge because of shared buffers, but perhaps there's some way to avoid
writingthose? (That means the core won't help if the bug is due to something in a buffer, but that seems unlikely
enoughthat the tradeoff is worth it...)

Good idea.  It seems the madvise() system call (with MADV_DONTDUMP) is exactly what's needed to avoid dumping shared
buffers.