Re: Bug in XPATH() produces invalid XML values and probably un-restorable dumps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: Bug in XPATH() produces invalid XML values and probably un-restorable dumps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On May31, 2011, at 20:50 , Florian Pflug wrote:
> While trying to figure out sensible semantics for XPATH() and scalar-value returning XPath expressions, I've stumbled
upona bug in XPATH() that allows invalid XML values to be produced. This is a serious problem because should such
invalidvalues get inserted into an XML column, an un-restorable dump ensues.

> Here's an example (REL9_0_STABLE as of a few days ago)
>
> template1=# SELECT (XPATH('/*/text()', '<root><</root>'))[1];
> xpath
> -------
> <

> Patch is attached.

I've added two tests to the xml regression test which highlight the issue.

Updated patch attached.

best regards,
Florian Pflug

Attachment