Re: Extensions Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Extensions Documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Oct 30, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

>> True, which is why I was thinking of something relatively light-weight
>> and self-contained like sundown.
>
> That's a markdown library, which transforms markdown to HTML, right?  So
> what would we do with the HTML?

Put it into the HTML directory (share/docs/html/extensions/$extension.html) and inject its name into the TOC.

I'd also be in favor of adding hooks to generate man pages.

> I don't agree with this approach.  There is no need to be prescriptive.
> Enforcing a documentation format won't make better, or any,
> documentation anyway.

My point isn't to be prescriptive, but that actual code tends to win out in the end, as opposed to discussion. (Which,
yes,I have started.)

> That said, if there are things we could put in, e.g., pgxs, to make
> building documentation simpler, we can discuss that.

Yeah, that would be ideal. But if no one has really thought about how to go about it yet…

David