HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Schwenker, Stephen
Subject HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem
Date
Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem  (John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw@wardbrook.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm having a major Vacuuming problem.  I used to do a full vacuum every morning on my postgres database to clean up empty space on a table but because of it's size, the locking of the database causes my application server to max out the database connections and causes database errors.  To fix that problem, I have turned off the full vacuum and are just doing a standard analyze vacuum.  No I'm getting very close to running out of space on my disks because the table keeps on growing and the database is not re-using deleted record space.  I know this because I delete 99% of the records from the table after I have exported them but the size of the database tables are not decreasing.  Now I can't shrink the size of the tables because the full vacuum takes too long to run  Over 2 hours and locks the table for too long.

Can anyone help me with fixing my problem with vacuuming and disk space?

I'm using version 7.4.2 on solaris.

Thank you,

Steve.