Re: storing TZ along timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: storing TZ along timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 19, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I have my doubts about that, and I hope not.  These details haven't been
>> discussed at all; I only started this thread to get community approval
>> on cataloguing the TZs.
>
> I am strongly in favor of having a *timezone* data type and some system
> whereby we can uniquely identify timezones in the Zic database.  That
> would be tremendously useful for all sorts of things.  I'm just
> asserting that those who want a composite timestamp+saved-time-zone data
> type have not thought about all of the complications involved.

Having to deal with timezone's completely separate from their timestamps is a huge PITA. That said, if we had a
timezonedatatype there's at least the possibility of using a composite type to deal with all of this. Or at least we
canjust create a custom datatype using existing tools... the only part of this that I see that actually requires closer
coresupport is the timezone data itself.

So if the community is OK with adding a timezone datatype then we can focus on that and leave the timestamptztz data
typeas an add-on (at least assuming we don't run into any gotchas).

Alvaro, please speak up if there's any technical issues here that I've missed?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net