Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Need Help Installing Dblink…(Desperately…) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Levan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Need Help Installing Dblink…(Desperately…)
Date
List pgsql-general

On Nov 12, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jerry Levan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Nov 12, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Scott Mead wrote:
>>> The Makefile should be including the global.... did you try a 'make install' ?
>
>> I went back and did the make install from the dblink directory it installed
>> stuff in the share directory but invoking dblink functions failed with
>> an unknown definition. I invoked the create extension command but it
>> did no good...
>
> Vague handwaving like that is an excellent way to guarantee that nobody
> can help you, because we can't figure out what you did wrong (or, maybe,
> what the code did wrong) based on this.  We need to see exactly what
> commands you gave and what results you got.  Please read
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems
>
> (In general, though, in PG 9.1 you do not source contrib SQL scripts
> directly.  CREATE EXTENSION is the way to install a contrib module into
> a database.)
>
>             regards, tom lane

You are, as usual, correct in your criticism.

My only excuse is that I hit the panic button when things got out
of control ;(

My first bad step was moving the source folder after I built the
main database server, clients, etc and then trying to build the
dblink extension.

It appears that some *.h files had been linked via absolute paths
causing the compilation of the dblink package build to fail.

Moving the source folder back to its original location fixed that problem.

The second difficulty was that I did not understand about extensions and
how to install and enable the rascals.

After I built the documentation and did some reading about extensions I
was able to (I hope) properly install the dblink package. My sql codes
that use dblink now act the same in 9.1.1 as they did in 9.0.x

I will find out for sure tomorrow when I upgrade two more macs…

Jerry