Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 03:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> There is something very wrong here.  On my OS X machine, initdb selects
> non-default shared_buffers and max_connections (300 and 50
> respectively,
> when using 7.4beta5).  Why is that failing to happen on yours?  I can
> see two possibilities: either initdb is failing to notice that it needs
> smaller-than-default values, or it's somehow failing to insert those
> values into the constructed postgresql.conf file.  You could determine
> which is happening by looking at the output of initdb to see what it
> reports.

I set the memory parameters back to their defaults, and now: it works.
I'm getting 300 and 50 with initdb. I don't recall what the output form
initdb was from previous attempts, but the .conf file always had 1000
and 100.

> [ thinks for a bit... ]  Hmm.  You *are* using the postgresql.conf file
> that initdb built, aren't you?

I have never changed anything in this file (or replaced it). I did not
even know what the shared_buffers parameter was for until I ran into
this problem.

What version of OS X are you running? I thought I replicated the
problem after upgrading to 10.2.8, but now I'm not certain I ran initdb
again (I may have just rebuilt beta 5). So possibly it could be a
difference between 10.2.6 and 10.2.8. If not, I have no clue. I'll
report back if I find anything.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.