Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date
Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
List pgsql-hackers
> On 12 Jun 2024, at 17:50, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2024-06-11 07:28:23 -0700, Jacob Champion wrote:

>> The OAuth pytest suite makes extensive use of
>> - psycopg, to easily drive libpq;
>
> That's probably not going to fly. It introduces painful circular dependencies
> between building postgres (for libpq), building psycopg (requiring libpq) and
> testing postgres (requiring psycopg).

I might be missing something obvious, but if we use a third-party libpq driver
in the testsuite doesn't that imply that a patch adding net new functionality
to libpq also need to add it to the driver in order to write the tests?  I'm
thinking about the SCRAM situation a few years back when drivers weren't up to
date.

--
Daniel Gustafsson