Re: cuckoo is hung during regression test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: cuckoo is hung during regression test
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Feb 13, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Interesting.  So accept() fails because it can't allocate an FD, which
> means that the select condition isn't cleared, so we keep retrying
> forever.  I don't see what else we could do though.  Having the
> postmaster abort on what might well be a transient condition doesn't
> sound like a hot idea.  We could possibly sleep() a bit before
> retrying,
> just to not suck 100% CPU, but that doesn't really *fix* anything ...

Well, not only that, but the machine is currently writing to the
postmaster log at the rate of 2-3MB/s. ISTM some kind of sleep
(perhaps growing exponentially to some limit) would be a good idea.

> I've been meaning to bug you about increasing cuckoo's FD limit
> anyway;
> it keeps failing in the regression tests.
>
>> ulimit is set to 1224 open files, though I seem to keep bumping
>> into that
>> (anyone know what the system-level limit is, or how to change it?)
>
> On my OS X machine, "ulimit -n unlimited" seems to set the limit to
> 10240 (or so a subsequent ulimit -a reports).  But you could probably
> fix it using the buildfarm parameter that cuts the number of
> concurrent
> regression test runs.

Odd... that works on my MBP (sudo bash; ulimit -n unlimited) and I
get 12288. But the same thing doesn't work on cuckoo, which is a G4;
the limit stays at 1224 no matter what. Perhaps because I'm setting
maxfiles in launchd.conf.

In any case, I've upped it to a bit over 2k; we'll see what that
does. I find it interesting that aubrac isn't affected by this, since
it's still running with the default of only 256 open files.

I'm thinking we might want to change the default value for
max_files_per_process on OS X, or have initdb test it like it does
for other things.