Are these steps correct and standard way to upload images into a table? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Zhidian Du
Subject Are these steps correct and standard way to upload images into a table?
Date
List pgsql-php
I check the posts about uploading images from browser.  No one give me a
whole procedure how to do it.  My friend told me I can upload binary/image
file using following steps:

I want to know are these steps standard steps that insert images into a
table?

Step 1 upload it
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="" enctype="multipart/form-data">

<?
    if($pic_name != '')
    {
    $len = strlen($pic_name)-4;
    $ext = substr($pic_name,$len);
    $ext = strtolower($ext);

    $File="/www/pics/test".$ext;
    exec("cp $pic $File");
    }

?>

Step 2 Read it
$fd = fopen($img_name, "r");
        while ($post_file = fread($fd, 4096))
        {
         $filestuff .= $post_file;
        }
        fclose($fd);

Step 3 insert or update into the table using insert or update

Are these steps correct or the standard way to upload images into a table?

Thanks.

Zhidian Du