Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key?
Date
List pgsql-general
Simply put, it doesn't scale as well.

If a table already has candidate keys, then you've presumably got unique
indices on them.  A surrogate primary key adds another segment of data
to pass through I/O and another index to maintain.  Under high loads,
those extra cycles will cost you transactions per minute.

If you're able to throw hardware at the problem to compensate for
performance and data size issues, it's not a problem.  Most databases
are run on systems that are overkill already.  If, OTOH, you're running
a system that needs to be able to process billions of transactions with
exabytes data (say, for example, a comprehensive multi-national health
record database) then you're going to be as interested in SQL tuning as
it's possible to be because no amount of hardware will be enough.

The other argument is that it's redundant data with no real meaning to
the domain, meaning using surrogate keys technically violates low-order
normal forms.

As far as data changing, if you're using foreign key constraints
properly you should never need to issue more than one UPDATE command.
ON UPDATE CASCADE is your friend.

It is always possible to design a domain model which perfectly captures
business logic.  However, it is *not* always possible to actually
implement that domain in a computerized RDBMS, nor is it always
practical.  Just as the domain model represents an estimated
implementation of the real world information, an RDBMS is just an
estimated implementation of the relational model.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer