How to implement Aggregate Awareness? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Olgierd Michalak
Subject How to implement Aggregate Awareness?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Navigationin PostgreSQL? <p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Simply put, when Transparent (to the reporting
tool)Aggregate Navigator recognizes that a query would execute faster using aggregates, it automatically rewrites the
queryso that the database hits the smaller aggregates rather than larger detail tables upon which the small aggregates
arepre-computed. The simple theory for BI/DWH was set out by Ralph Kimball (<a
href="http://www.kimballgroup.com/html/articles_search/articles1996/9608d54.html">http://www.kimballgroup.com/html/articles_search/articles1996/9608d54.html</a>).
Sometools, including Oracle, provide such functionality, and I wonder if it is possible to implement such Aggregate
Awarenessin PostgreSQL. <p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Re-write rules in PostgreSQL come to mind first.
Aftera few attempts, I realized that they may not be sophisticated enough to provide a viable solution. But perhaps
theyare, or there are other features in PostgreSQL that would allow for such aggregate awareness. If you have good
ideasabout how to implement this functionality, please respond.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal"> <p
class="MsoNormal">Thankyou,<p class="MsoNormal">Olgierd Michalak<p class="MsoNormal">Soft Computer Consultants, Inc.<p
class="MsoNormal"> </div>