Re: Poor performance in Porting Oracle based applicatio - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Snyder
Subject Re: Poor performance in Porting Oracle based applicatio
Date
List pgsql-general
BTW, when you say that it's taking "double the time", what are we really
talking about? Is this the difference between 50 ms and 100 ms, or are we
talking about minutes?  (smaller differences may be attributable to
differences in hardware.)

The output of vacuum analyze doesn't tell _me_ anything, but it does let
postgres examine your data so that it can be smart about how it does things.

Whatever you can explain about _what_ is actually taking a long time will
help.  Take a look at the comments that were made in the thread (also going
on today) titled "Updates are slow.." -- much of that advice could be good
for you, too.

More info in:
1) schema
2) log the queries
3) hardware/OS differences (are your servers running on the same type of
machine?)

If you can't post the schema, then something else (some kind of test case)
that will show the problem would sure help.

-ron