Re: Checking that Pg is running from a shell script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Snyder
Subject Re: Checking that Pg is running from a shell script
Date
List pgsql-general
Given the requirement for having to know PGDATA in order to get pg_ctl to
work, and to offer flexibility for cases where the server will live on a
different machine, I prefer checking status of $?

bash-2.05$ psql quickview -c '\q';
bash-2.05$ echo $?
0
bash-2.05$ export PGPORT=9999
bash-2.05$ psql quickview -c '\q';
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
bash-2.05$ echo $?
2

-ron