Re: Slow connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Snyder
Subject Re: Slow connection
Date
List pgsql-general
Perhaps I missed an earlier message-- what else have you done to isolate the
problem?  In addition to the list of things I sent last week, I'd suggest
configuring your server to log all queries for a while (or even set up a
separate server for this) so that you can take a look at what queries are
actually being received by the server.

(BTW, if you do set up a separate server, do other users still experience
the slowness when you are talking to that test server?  If YES, then that
indicates that perhaps your server machine doesn't have enough resources to
accommodate the queries you are doing and other users at the same time. It
also could indicate (as others have suggested) that you've got some sort of
a machine configuration (or networking) problem.  If users DON'T experience
the same slowdowns, then I'd think you'd need to start looking at your
postgres software configuration. (Like, how many backend processes are
allowed, etc.)

We had some bizarre (read surprisingly unacceptable) performance from our
postgres server and couldn't figure out why until we turned up logging and
discovered that someone had a program stuck in a loop doing the same thing
hundreds of times/second.

-ron