Re: Slow connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Snyder
Subject Re: Slow connection
Date
List pgsql-general
My inclination as a sysadmin type is to first isolate the problem to either
your program, or the queries that your program is performing.  To do that, I
would try running your program from some other machine and see if it has the
same effect.  If it doesn't, I'd suspect something wrong with the way your
machine is communicating with the machine the server is running on.

If your program still causes all of the other connections to have problems,
I'd suggest that you perform all of the queries that your program is doing
through the psql interface. (I'd perform this step only because I'm not
familiar enough with the guts of the libpq and psql interfaces to know if
they interact with the server in the exact same way, or if they do things
differently. Because the guts are unknown to me, I would test them. YMMV.)

If other users still see the poor performance while you're running the
queries (in a script, to more closely simulate the c++ program) via the psql
interface, then you'll need to figure out which query is causing the
problems.  If the other users only see the problem with the c++ program, I'd
think that you'd need to start there.

-ron