Re: Unexplainable slow down... SOLVED (we think) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Snyder
Subject Re: Unexplainable slow down... SOLVED (we think)
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, we dropped a couple of the indices that weren't being used, and also
dropped an index that included the 'state' column.  These states are not
geographic states, they're process states and there's less than 10 unique
values.  Our guess is that 10 unique values between 160K rows caused the
index to be of negative value.  The explain now shows that the query is
being done with an index scan, and it's back to a _very_ respectable time (2
seconds to return 1550 rows).

Stephen, thank you very much for your time and effort.

-ron