Re: Generic Monitoring Framework Proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Theo Schlossnagle
Subject Re: Generic Monitoring Framework Proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 19, 2006, at 7:39 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> We will need to benchmark on FreeBSD to see if those comments about
> overhead stand up to scrutiny there too.

I've followed the development of DTrace on FreeBSD and the design
approach is mostly identical to the Solaris one.  This would mean
that if there is overhead on FreeBSD not present on Solaris it would
be considered a big and likely fixed.

> I would think that even if (for instance) we find that there is no
> overhead on Solaris, those of us on platforms where DTrace is less
> mature would want the option of building without any probes at all
> in the code - I guess a configure option "--without-dtrace" on by
> default on those platforms would do it.

Absolutely.  As they are all proposed as preprocessor macros, this
would be trivial to accomplish.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/