Re: Update and bytea problem... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry LeVan
Subject Re: Update and bytea problem...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 9, 2005, at 9:35 PM, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:46:17PM -0500, Jerry LeVan wrote:
>> I am trying to write a general update command where
>> there might be "bytea" fields involved.
>>
>> The update command is generated programatically.
>>
>> I am having some problems when a bytea field is
>> involved.
>
> What language are you using and how are you escaping the bytea
> data?  Could you post a code snippet so we can see exactly what
> you're doing?
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr

Sigh, it is really messy, I am writing in Tcl and using Pgtcl as
the interface to Postgresql.

This seems to work ok:

    insert into pics byteafield='<pg_escaped string>'

I have been able to extract the byteafield and get the
original file contents , jpg, png, etc...maybe I have been lucky?

However

     update pics set byteafield='<pg_escaped string>' where
byteafield='<other pg_escaped string>'

has always failed for me unless the "other pg_escaped string" is a
simple string.
probably when pg_escaped string == string.

Assuming I am not overlooking something obvious, I wonder how the
"where clause" above is
evaluated for bytea columns... do I need to unpgescape the string
and then pg quote it?

Something is not clear to me: I notice that pg_escaped strings can
contain "'s are
floating about in pg_escaped strings...

Back to manuals...

Jerry