Re: Add PostgreSQL 11 to feature matrix page? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Add PostgreSQL 11 to feature matrix page?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On May 24, 2018, at 9:38 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Now that PostgreSQL 11 beta is out, I wonder if it's worth to add
> PostgreSQL 11 to the feature matrix page.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/
>
> Adding PostgreSQL 11 to the page will give users at-a-glance-dfference
> between 11 and previous releases, which could bring clearner image of
> 11 to the users.

I do like this idea, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Traditionally, we’ve waited until closer to release (I believe RCs) before
putting them up, due to the fact features can change. It is simple to remove
features from the feature matrix, but I think it’s part of the final packaging to
include the full list of features.

Also, theoretically through the beta period, we should have a better idea of
which features we want to highlight, both including the major features and
others we believe should be brought to light.

2.  We’d have to add some code to support displaying a beta version in
the feature matrix. Not a huge obstacle, but from reviewing the code and to
display it properly, I don’t believe we get it for free.

Not to derail the original purpose of this thread, but there are some other
areas of the website I’d also like to include accessibility features around the
beta, including

1. Listing “11” as one of the versions that someone can select in the “Report
a Bug” section
2. Listing “11 beta 1” as one of the releases in the current releases section

From what I see both of which will require a schema modification.

Lastly, based on how you feel about the above, I would suggest that we move
this to -www as that would be the best area to find a solution.

Thanks!

Jonathan