Re: left outer join terrible slow compared to inner join - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Clay Luther
Subject Re: left outer join terrible slow compared to inner join
Date
List pgsql-general
> That said. My first guess as to the real problem. Of the 37
> tables 36 of them
> aren't being accessed using indexes. Do you have indexes on
> the join columns?
> Perhaps you should? Postgres performs better when it has indexe

Heh...well, first let me say:

1) Our database is highly normalized.
2) All joins in the query are performed across indeces.
3) It IS a huge query.

There is a reason to the madness.  Namely, this query was driven by a client application requirement.  In a particular
operationalcase, the application needed to be able to say "give me all this information now!" without making round
tripsto the database.  The query itself has grown over the years (last time I looked at it, it was only 24 joins, not
37). But, as I said before,

1) It works
2) It works VERY fast (in SQLServer)
3) It works in production and has for years now

When I looked at the query for the first time in years last week, here is an email I sent to other people on my team:

--snip--
Here's the ugly one, the station-d statement:

How or why we ever wrote such a monster is beyond me :-)
--snip--

But, it exists, it works, and it currently not scheduled to be changed.  Such is the nature of inertia.

:-)

cwl