versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Al Bean
Subject versions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I just compiled and installed the latest version of postgresql.

I found a webpage that showed a few steps to test the installation but it
was for 7.0.something but i could not find anything for the latest version
so i tried it anyway.

I was able to create a db but there were two things that I could not do:

mytestdb-# select current_timestamp;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "select"

and

mytestdb=# create function test1() returns integer as 'begin return 1; end;'
language 'plpgsql';
ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
        Pre-installed languages are SQL, C, and internal.
        Additional languages may be installed using 'createlang'.

Now I noticed that I could get the first test case working if i used all
caps for SELECT.  Is postgresql case sensitive?  is there a way to compile
it so that it is not case sensitive?  or can I not get this working because
I'm using different (newer) version?

Thanks,
-Al