Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Koth, Christian (DWBI)
Subject Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing
Date
Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing  (Michael Stone <mstone+postgres@mathom.us>)
List pgsql-performance
Milen,

> XFS, EXT3, JFS
For what reason are you planning to use a journaling FS? I think using WAL, fsyncing every transaction and using a
journalingFS is tautologous. And if you have problems using EXT2 you can just add the journal later without loosing
data.
My tests using EXT2 showed a performance boost up to 50% on INSERTs.

Christian

> I am pretty exited whether XFS will clearly outpertform ETX3
> (no default setups for both are planned !).  I am not sure
> whether is it worth to include JFS in comparison too ...
>

> Best  Regards,
> Milen Kulev

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely
forthe use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your
systemand notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other
person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
thoseof the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The
companyaccepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.