Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Paul Davis
Subject Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart.
Date
Re: Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart.  (Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk>)
Re: Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart.  (Harry Mantheakis <harry@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Dear List,

I've finally managed to get connection pooling going in tomcat.  I've
noticed that when i reload my web app the postmaster will not drop any
of the connections.

Basically the order of things is I start Tomcat, check out my servlet
and there's a connection that shows up to the postmaster.  Now while
I've been doing some development I notice that when i reload my web app
that the connection stays around.  And after enough connections are
just sitting there, it doesn't allow me to make anymore.  It gives a
JDBC error about not being able to make any more connections without
superuser status.

I'm not even sure if this would be a problem in production, but right
now I'm finding it quite annoying to have to restart tomcat on a
regular basis.

Before I get flamed, I just want to note that I'm only asking here
because I don't even know if this is a postgresql problem or a tomcat
one.  So I'm asking on both mailing lists.

Thanks,
Paul Davis.

*Insert witty quote*