Connexion with jdbc - Mailing list pgsql-general

From zze-Synchro ball001 exterieur FTRD
Subject Connexion with jdbc
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I have try to connect to my database using the org.postgresql.Driver (the last stable release) but it does not work. The logfile on postgresql server says that the function pg_encoding_to_char does not exist.

From what I have read, this is due to a problem of version (I'm using the 6.5.3).

I wanted to use the sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver to connect instead. However, I have the following error:
* If I try to connect to "jdbc:odbc://myServerUrl/myDatabaseName" : The datasource cannot be found and pilote name is not specified

* If I try to connect to "jdbc:odbc://myServerUrl:5432/myDatabaseName": Data source name too long! ( it's 29 characters)

Note:
* I'm using jdk1.3.1_03
* My postmaster is running with the -i option.
* I have added the client ip address to the pg_hba.conf file.
* I can connect without problem on a mySql database on the same server

Could anyone help me?
Thanks a lot
Tanguy
ps: I have another server running postgresql on another network. From a computer on the same network the one I'm using, I can connect to a db on this server with  "jdbc:odbc:databasename", but not from the computer i'm using. I found strange that I do not have to give a url for the database. If anyone could give me a reason... Thanks a lot.