Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 3, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> Which is why my suggestion is pretty much free from any design
>
> Now you're scaring me.  I read that as "the proposed design is free
> from the influence of any design effort."

No. Just as simple as possible.

> That's precisely how you
> can find yourself standing in a corner with wet paint on the floor
> all around you.

But if the paint were made with chocolate, would you care?

> At a minimum you would need to specify the format of the dependency
> list and either some header and or terminator or some specification
> of something which *can't* be in the list.  It would be ironic if
> our extensions configuration wasn't extensible.

I'm talking about a hard-coded list of things that can go on the list, core items, simply separated by commas (or
howeverthe postgresql.conf format supports a list of items). No external dependencies (like the particular version of
libxml2)or any version numbers at all, aside from the server itself.

Best,

David