Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Mar 3, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Who said anything about full generality? I'm interested in a 90% (or even 99%) solution.
>>
>> It's pretty important that we don't design ourselves into a corner her

> Which is why my suggestion is pretty much free from any design. Just a list of dependencies, with only a server
versionnumber. No other syntax at all. It can be added later.

I basically agree with Robert that "requires = 9.1" is entirely useless.
There's next to no scenario where an extension author wouldn't really
be wanting to write "requires >= 9.1" instead.  And to do that, we have
to solve the whole version-number-comparison problem that we worked so
hard to dodge before.  So this all looks to me like something that needs
considerably more thought than we can devote to it for 9.1.