Failover question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Benjamin Krajmalnik
Subject Failover question
Date
List pgsql-admin

I currently have 2 servers running PostgreSQL 9.0 under FreeBSD configured with streaming replication.

DB1 is the primary server, and DB2 is the replicated server, which is used for all of the read only queries.

I am having some hardware issues on DB1 which is affecting its performance, resulting in data getting queued up.

I would like to change roles on these servers, such that DB1 becomes the replicated server and DB2 the master server.

This is a production system, so I cannot take any chances of anything going wrong.

What is the correct procedure for accomplishing this?

If needed, although not preferred, I can take the system offline for a maintenance window.

Thank you in advance,

Benjamin