Re: sort mem: size in RAM vs size on Disk - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Neyman
Subject Re: sort mem: size in RAM vs size on Disk
Date
List pgsql-general

Mark, you are about right in regards to ratio between required work_mem
size and the size that sort operation occupies on disk.  work_mem needs
to be 2-3 times greater than sort occupies on disk.

As for "temp" files, PG has separate from work_mem memory area called
temp_buffers, try to play with this configuration parameter.

And, yes there is a 1GB files size limit (not only for temp files),
that's why you see .1, .2, ... In the file names.

Regards,
Igor Neyman