Re: stored procedures for complex SELECTs - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: stored procedures for complex SELECTs
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Jan 19, 2006, at 8:17 , alex-lists-pgsql@yuriev.com wrote:

> Are there performance advantages that can be achieved by wrapping a
> complex SELECT into a stored procedure?

I believe it depends on the procedural language. If it's SQL, I think
it may be inlined, so you'd have overhead due to the stored procedure
rather than the select itself would probably be minimal. In any other
language, there would be additional parsing overhead, I believe, so I
don't think it would be faster than the select itself.

However, why don't you test it? Test each case in an EXPLAIN ANALYZE
or run some other benchmark to see if there's a performance
difference. Then you'll know for sure—and have numbers to back it up.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com