Re: Confusion over Python drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James William Pye
Subject Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Feb 5, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think another difference is that the Perl DBI interface is very rich,
> whereas the Python DB-API is quite minimal and almost forces people to
> write (incompatible) extensions.

Yep.

> The DB-SIG at Python that ought to drive all this is also quite dead,

From reading messages that come into that list(not-so-lately), I've gotten the impression that they are content with
DB-API2. Aside from the TPC interfaces, the last round of activity that I know of was dbapi3[1 (which was a long while
ago)].

> possibly because everyone has moved on to SQLAlchemy.

Yeah. AFAICT, that is the general direction encouraged by DB-SIG. Write an abstraction on top of DB-API. SQLAlchemy,
SQLObject,anysql, and I'm sure there are others.

[1] http://wiki.python.org/moin/Aug2001DbApi3Strawman   http://wiki.python.org/moin/DbApi3