cannot load server.crt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sahagian, David
Subject cannot load server.crt
Date
List pgsql-general

9.1.3 on Linux . . .

We use our own CA implementation inside Java to generate a PEM-encoded certificate chain (server.crt) and key (server.key).

The certificates are, as they should be, base-64 encoded and surrounded by the appropriate delimiters such as

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

They are also line-wrapped at 77 characters.

But the line wrapping code can cause an extra newline char following the final base-64 encoded character of the cert or key, and before the -----END CERTIFICATE----- delimiter.

When this happens, Postgres rejects the certificate.

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

. . .

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Although these formats are imprecisely defined, we think Postgres should accept such a certificate since both Java keytool and Windows certificate management accept the certificate as valid.

Is this a bug in OpenSSL and/or Postgres ?

-dvs-