Re: ROLLBACK in a function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Winter
Subject Re: ROLLBACK in a function
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig ~

Your rollback solution works!  For anyone who wants to use Craig's solution,
the new version of my example (with the test code omitted to clarify the
structural pattern) is:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION tests() RETURNS varchar AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
    errs VARCHAR = '';
    -- Test declarations: <omitted>
BEGIN
    -- Test code: <omitted>
    RAISE EXCEPTION '';
EXCEPTION
    WHEN raise_exception THEN
        RETURN errs;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
;

By contrast, the old version (with the test code omitted) was:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION tests() RETURNS varchar AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
    errs VARCHAR = '';
    -- Test declarations: <omitted>
BEGIN
    RAISE EXCEPTION '';
EXCEPTION
    WHEN raise_exception THEN
        -- Test code: <omitted>
        RETURN errs;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
;

To clarify the purpose of this structure, for anyone who may want to do the
same thing:

This is a framework for running test code whose job is to run one or more
tests against the database.  Every test that fails is supposed to simply add
a diagnostic message to the "errs" string, which is then returned.  Every
test that is passed is to do nothing.  All tests need to be designed so that
they do not cause an exception that causes the function to abort.  And then,
at the end, the framework of the function returns errs and rolls back all
data changes it has made.

~ Thanks!
~ Ken